Wednesday, August 31, 2011

What A Week!

Whew! What a week we just had! Early in the week we experienced a 5.8 earthquake here on the East Coast, felt by millions of people, including me! I was sitting at my computer thinking "why do I feel dizzy", then a loud roaring sound which I was sure a big truck was close by. I kept asking myself "what is that?" when I began to feel the floor moving. Living in California for a year back in the early 80's made me quite aware of earthquakes, so I knew at that point was going on. California has earthquakes ALL THE TIME, if they are not big enough or news worthy, they do not get noticed by the media. The quake lasted about 25 seconds and it was over. Luckily, we are about 150 miles from the epicenter so we have not felt any of the aftershocks. Panic set in all up and down the East Coast mainly because we never have earthquakes and I am sure this scared a LOT of people!
The end of the week brought in Hurricane Irene. We are about 2 hours west of the ocean so we did not receive hurricane strength winds but we did get the tropical storm winds. They seemed to last a lifetime as far as I was concerned and when Irene finally departed, she left a lot of destruction in her path. A lot of people lost power, had trees fall on their houses along with water damage and lives were lost. We never lost power, which really surprises me, others were not as fortunate, 4 days later some are still without power! These pictures only represent one small subdivision surrounding the lake. Multiply this damage around a 35 mile lake!






























































































No comments: